Wednesday 25 January 2012

A decision can lead to change...you have been warned.

I know that when I hesitate to make a decision it’s because I’m afraid I’ll get it wrong, I’ll make a mistake.  But getting it wrong isn’t the worst thing that can happen -- unless you’re a brain surgeon of course, for regular folks and the decisions we need to make, we have a bit of leeway in making a mistake.
Sometimes though, people don’t make a decision because they have no intention of ever making a decision.  For some people talking about having to make a decision, talking about whatever isn’t working in their lives, ad-nauseam, is the point.  To these people I say, you have abdicated the right to gripe.  
So, to the person who is on the receiving end of the gripe, you have my permission to walk away without fear of being a bad person, or dying friendless, truly, they are no friend to you anyway.
People who complain and yet do nothing are not afraid of making mistakes, they’re just plain afraid, fear rules their lives.  Fear will continue to rule their lives until they run out of people who will listen to them.  By having someone listen to them complain, they don’t have to deal with their fear, in fact they don’t have to deal with anything. So you will be a better friend to them by walking away. And if you are not walking away, then I wonder what the payoff is for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment