Wednesday 4 January 2012

Why do older women tend to move on?

  1. There are a lot of reasons why older women move on; why younger women move on; why men move on, etc., the point is that there are as many reasons as there are people on the planet for moving on, for making a change.
  2. We can all agree that moving on or making a change is very hard.
  3. We can also agree that if the impetus for moving on is to live a more authentic life then that individual is to be applauded for their courage.
  4. On the other hand, if the impetus for moving on is to run away from a problem with distractions  (i.e., the marriage isn’t working so you have an affair) then that individual is to be called a Chicken Shit.
What I know for myself is that as I neared 50 I sensed a shift in the way I was living my life.  I realized that I was living an incredibly passive life.  I felt as though I was waiting for something/someone to rescue me.  While I waited I engaged in every manner of distraction possible. Yes, I was a Chicken Shit.  And I was living a Chicken Shit existence for many years before enough became enough.
Why is this important? My reason for change was based on a feeling; a minuscule sense that I wanted my life to mean something more. That’s it -- it was a small thing but it was EVERY thing as well.   I suspect that’s the reason most older women move on. It’s that sense of do or die that brings women to the crossroads.  
If this is you, standing at the crossroads studying the paths you’ve already taken, well trodden on the left and the right, why not look up and follow the runway.  I am the whisper in you ear that says, “It’s time to fly.” 

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is truly beautiful. Well written and so poignant. If we can still our minds for just one millisecond, we just might hear that whisper!

    ReplyDelete