Sunday 15 January 2012

Sliding into heaven.

“Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, body totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"” (Author unknown)
That’s what I want to be able to tell myself when I’m 80. 
To me this little aphorism isn’t talking about hedonism, irresponsibility, or checking off all the items on a bucket list.  To me it says you’ve lived your life authentically and expansively, going out of your way to enhance someone else’s life as well. It is by far, the best way to be used up at the end of the day.

2 comments:

  1. One of my favourite quotes echoes your post:
    "This is the true joy in life, the being used for a purpose recognized by yourself as a mighty one; the being thoroughly worn out before you are thrown on the scrap heap; the being a force of Nature instead of a feverish selfish little clod of ailments and grievances complaining that the world will not devote itself to making you happy."
    George Bernard Shaw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I love, love, love that one too.

    ReplyDelete