Wednesday 18 January 2012

Passion is overrated

I was at the grocery store the other day and a mom was strapping her two little kids into their car seats.  She then turned and looked at the grocery cart.  You could tell she wanted to return it to the store but looking at her kids she didn’t want to leave them.  She looked back at the cart then at her kids a couple of times, this took only a couple of seconds, but I saw that she was struggling with a dilemma, so I offered to return the cart for her.
There’s a lot of talk about living a passionate life; do what you’re passionate about; find your passion, etc., and all I can think is “Geez, I don’t think I have that kind of energy.”  I’d argue that a lot of what adds up to living a full meaningful life, are small selfless moments.  Conjuring up passion to me feels like it would take a whole lot of bluster and meaningless energy (see my earlier post on INERTIA); the quieter stirrings of selflessness run deeper and make a bigger impact.  
The same holds true for the need to give flight to your life (do what you’re passionate about).  The pursuit of that need, I think, doesn’t require a red hot burning passion, no.  For me it has always felt more like an obsessed stalker lurking under the surface every single day and getting in your face only when it feels you’ve ignored it for too long.
Passion to me feels like a match - short lived.
The obsessed stalker feels more like a real hunger for arson.

No comments:

Post a Comment