Sunday 22 July 2012

UPSIDE


If you have been complaining of the same problem(s) for over a year (I’m being generous here - a year is a long time), then congratulations you are the proud owner of a victim mentality -- or a martyr mentality, or an indignant mentality, or a defensive mentality, take your pick.
Why do so many people choose to be victims?  Because there’s a huge upside:
  1. NOT MY JOB - I don’t have to look for solutions to my problems
  2. THEY - are ruining my life; I am always perpetrated upon, the problem exists out there
  3. DO UNTO OTHERS - my angry/defensive lashing out is justified because THEY are always picking on me
  4. I COULD DO BETTER THAN YOU - but I won’t, my indignant attitude is enough, so I walk around perfectly balanced with a chip on both shoulders
  5. OUT OF MY CONTROL - I’m overwhelmed
  6. JUST ME - that's the way I am/always have been
Whatever the excuse may be, you get the picture, it boils down to relinquishing control of your life.
Let’s be clear, I’m not talking about true victimhood here, I’m talking about adults that complain about their lives yet do nothing to change it.  They suck others dry of sympathy, compassion and good will while not doing a damn thing to help themselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment